2016-17 Secondary Professional Development Classes
We have several options for Technology Professional Development this year.
- Hybrid courses are half face to face and half online over four weeks. (relicensure or option of USOE credit)
- Online courses will start with a one-hour introduction followed by six weeks of online instruction. (relicensure or option of USOE credit)
- All or part of any of the classes can be offered at your school before or after school, lunch and learn, or with PLC.
- The following classes are offered at the ASB (Auxiliary Services Building; 7905 S. Redwood Rd, West Jordan). These are available to all secondary teachers and administrators. See JPLS for dates and times. Registration is required in JPLS.
Online – Secondary Google Tools – Starts on Wed (choose only one):Oct 5, Nov 2, Dec 7, 2016, Jan 4, Feb 1, Mar 1, Apr 5 or May 3 2017. 3:30-4:30; ASB Room varies (follows up w/ six weeks online)
This courses introduces teachers to Google Apps for Education. Google Apps for Education (GAFE) is a suite of secure web-based and collaborative applications that includes Documents, Slides, Sheets, Forms and Classroom. It allows students and teachers to work and learn together anytime, anywhere, and on any device. GAFE is hosted by Google, and is managed by Jordan School District.
Online – Secondary MasteryConnect – As Requested (8 hours relicensure points)
Learn to navigate MasteryConnect and what it can do to help you in your classroom. Create your profile, create a Mastery Trackers, create and add assessments, find assessment aligned to your core in the community, and score assessments in four easy ways. The next step in using MasteryConnect in your classroom. You will create, copy and collaborate on Curriculum Maps, organize standards then create a Mastery Tracker from a Curriculum Map, Identify a benchmark and SLO assessment, find, read and interpret various teacher reports.
Hybrid – Secondary Chromebooks and the Cloud Classroom – Wed Oct 12, 26, Nov 9 and 30. ASB Room 113
Bring the Cloud to your Classroom! This Professional Development is designed to help educators effectively integrate Chromebooks and Cloud tools into a project-based educational framework. Participants gain experience using Chromebooks, evaluating online tools for educational use, and exploring strategies for teaching with this technology.This course is a hybrid course with 4 weekly in person sessions and online discussions and assignments
Hybrid – Secondary Utah Online LIbrary – Research and Reference – Wed January 11, 25, Feb 8, 22, 2017; ASB Room 113
This course guides K–12 teachers and library media specialists through the hundreds of thousands of digital resources licensed for educational use by Utah educators and learners. In addition to gaining familiarity with online databases included in Pioneer Online Library, participants practice applying the Utah library media core curriculum’s six-step process for information problem-solving while sharing ideas for incorporating research and multimedia resources into lessons and projects for students.
Online – Secondary Digital Citizenship – Wed January 18, 2017; ASB Room 113
In this course participants will learn what digital citizenship is, how to teach students to be responsible digital citizens, and how to talk with students openly about cyberbullying and other potential pitfalls of social media. Participants will learn the how to model digital citizenship and develop tools and lessons to use with students of all ages.
For more information contact
Harrison Beckett (email@example.com): RES, VHS, BHS, SRMS, CMMS, JATC-N, OHMS
Nancy Lagerberg (firstname.lastname@example.org): KSHS, WHMS, WJMS, WJHS, CHHS, JPJMS, JATC-S,
Jay Eads (email@example.com) FHMS, SHMS; ERMS; SOJOMS; SVS; HHS; RHS
- As always we can bring Secondary Technology PD to your school. We can meet with a PLC, a department or faculty. We can come before or after school, even over lunch. We can make this work for you. Click here to view the courses that are available to your school. and then call your technology curriculum specialist and request the PD that you want for your school. We will get back in touch with you for details and confirmation. Relicensure points can be given for all pre approved classes of one hour or more.